Best Herbicide For Dallisgrass. Dallisgrass (Paspalum dilatatum) came into the United States a long time ago from Argentina and Uruguay. It is a perennial grass that is now found mostly in the southern United States like in California.
It is used as a pasture grass in irrigated areas or wet areas but not used as forage because of its weedy character. The seed heads are toxic to livestock.
You can find Dallisgrass as a weed in turfgrass, wet roadside areas, irrigation ditch banks, in some orchards, and vineyards. Dallisgrass has a short rhizome that makes it distinctive rhizomes compare to other common clumping grasses in lawns, such as crabgrass. Dallisgrass produces many amounts of seeds.
Media such as water, lawnmowers, humans, or pets can possibly spread the seed to new places. After the spread, seeds start to germinate in spring and summer.
In this article, we have selected the top-rated Herbicide For Dallisgrass. We discover the selection from the positive reviews about Herbicide For Dallisgrass from the verified customers. Read all the comparisons, pros, cons, specifications, ratings, our favorites, and reviews of this Herbicide For Dallisgrass and you can make a buying decision soon.
Our Quick Reviews
- Best Pre-Emergent Herbicide: Prodiamine 65 WDG Generic Barricade
- Best Granular Weed Control: The Andersons Pro Turf Barricade Granular Pre-Emergent Weed Control
- Best Herbicide for Woody Brush: Roundup Quikpro Herbicide Glyphosate Diquat
- Best Generic Herbicide for Dallisgrass: Makaze Herbicide 41% Glyphosate Generic
- Best for Lawn: Bayer Bio-Advanced All-In-One Lawn Weed
- Best to Freeze Weeds: Resolute 4FL Herbicide
Our editors research, and recommend the best products; you can learn more about our review process here. Bestgardenoutdoor earns a commission through the affiliate links at no additional cost to you.
Herbicide for Dallisgrass Comparison
|Prodiamine 65 WDG Generic Barricade||Prodiamine – 65%||9.5|
|The Andersons Pro Turf Barricade Granular Pre-Emergent Weed Control||Prodiamine – 0.48%||9.3|
|Roundup Quikpro Herbicide Glyphosate Diquat||Glyphosate Diquat||9.3|
|Makaze Herbicide 41% Glyphosate Generic||41% Glyphosate||9.1|
|BioAdvanced 704140 All-in-One Lawn Weed||2,4-D, dimethylamine salt – 4.85% Quinclorac – 1.61% Dicamba, dimethylamine salt – 0.45%||8.9|
|Resolute 4FL Herbicide||Prodiamine 40.7%||–|
The growth of Dallisgrass
It will start growing when soil temperatures are in the 60° to 65°F range. It will grow rapidly when the air temperature is at 80° to 90°F.
This weed can establish on sandy and heavy clay soils. On its establishment stage, the weed is drought-resistant and frost-tolerant.
Dallisgrass can create problems in golf courses, sports playing fields, and home landscapes. The appearance can provide unevenness and roughness to your lawns. You can get rid of these grass using the best herbicide for Dallisgrass.
The way it grows makes controlling it eventually hard. The grass may avoid being chopped down by a lawnmower. They can be hard to pull out of the ground because of the strong, thick, and fibrous roots which can reach down to 1 meter deep in the soil.
Where digging out clumps of Dallisgrass is not effective, herbicides are the best option to be applied. The type of herbicide to control established plants is post-emergent herbicides.
These will get rid of only specific weeds. To control germinating seeds, pre-emergent herbicides are the option to choose. Ways to get complete control of this weed, it is recommended to control both the established Dallisgrass plant and the germinating seed.
Best Generic Herbicide for Dallisgrass
Makaze Herbicide 41% Glyphosate Generic For Dallisgrass
BGO Overall Rating
Based on 143 reviews.
- This herbicide product contains Glyphosate (41%). This mixture of the formulation will absolutely kill Dallisgrass providing great penetration into the leaf surface enabling good absorption for a complete kill.
- It is a post-emergence and systemic herbicide with no residual soil activity. It works great of controlling trees, woody brush and numerous annual weeds, and perennial weeds, including Dallisgrass.
- The herbicide product is formulated as a water-soluble liquid that contains a surfactant. If you want to apply this product you do not need additional surfactant. There is no limitation of standard equipment for application.
Best Herbicide for Woody Brush
Roundup Quikpro Herbicide Glyphosate Diquat
BGO Overall Rating
Based on 543 reviews.
- This herbicide product is a post-emergent herbicide for non-crop, industrial, commercial, and residential use. It contains active ingredients of glyphosate (73.3%) and diquat (2.9%).
- The formulation mixture provides a fast burndown of Dallisgrass. Not only it can get rid of Dallisgrass, it can target and kill broadleaf and/or grass weeds or woody brush and trees.
- It works fast by absorbing the plant and rainfast in one hour. When the rain washes the plant, it will not wash away this herbicide easily. Mix with a rate of 1.5 oz. per 1 gallon of water.
Best Pre-Emergent Herbicide
Prodiamine 65 WDG Generic Barricade
BGO Overall Rating
Based on 924 reviews.
- This herbicide product is an effective pre-emergent herbicide for pre-emergent Dallisgrass and other grass. It can also be effective on broadleaf weed control.
- This product has the flexibility of being applied in spring and fall for season-long Dallisgrass or even Crabgrass control. The herbicide can also control bluegrass, spurge, witch grass and can be used safely on St. Augustine, Bermudagrass, Fescue grass, and common turf grasses.
- When you apply this herbicide you have to take extra precautions such as wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants. Wearing protective chemical resistant gloves, (butyl rubber >14 mils, or neoprene rubber > 14 mils, or nitrile rubber >14 mils). Wear protective shoes with socks.
- It contains Prodiamine (65%) that can control susceptible weeds. The product works by preventing the growth and development of new seeds. This would be very effective if activated by at least 0.5 inches of rainfall or irrigation or shallow incorporation (1 to 2 inches).
Best Granular Weed Control
The Andersons Pro Turf Barricade Granular Pre-Emergent Weed Control
BGO Overall Rating
Based on 1,421 reviews.
- This herbicide product can control unwanted broadleaf weeds and annual grassy. They include Dallisgrass, Crabgrass, Poa Annua, Goosegrass, and Henbit. This herbicide contains the active ingredient Prodiamine (0.48%), which works to eliminate weeds without damaging other plants.
- It limits the weed’s seed germination and root development. The product can be used in lawns, field-grown and landscape ornamental, turf grasses, sod farms, wildflower plantings, non-crop areas, cemetery, parking areas, tank farms, and Christmas tree farms.
- To maximize weed control, the application should be done in early spring and fall before weed seeds germinate. This herbicide product will control: Barnyardgrass, Bluegrass, Annual (Poa annua), Carpetweed, Chickweed, Common, Chickweed, Mouse-ear (from seed), Crabgrass (Large, Smooth), Crowfootgrass, Cupgrass, Woolly, Foxtails, Annual, Goosegrass1, Henbit, Itchgrass, Johnsongrass (from seed), Junglerice, Knotweed, Kochia, Lambsquarter, Common; Lovegrass, Oxalis, Panicum (Texas, Fall, Browntop), Pigweed, Purslane, Common, Pusley, Florida, Rescuegrass3, Shepherd’s Purse2, Signalgrass, Broadleaf, Speedwell, Persian, Sprangletop, Spurge, Prostrate, Witchgrass, Woodsorrel, and Yellow (from seed).
Best to Freeze Weeds
Resolute 4FL Herbicide
- This herbicide product is produced for selective pre-emergent control of grass and broadleaf weeds. Commonly for established turf grasses, sod gardens and lawns, field-grown, landscape and container ornamentals, established wildflower, perennial plantings, and Christmas tree farms.
- The product contains the active ingredient Prodiamine (40.7%). It can control Dallisgrass, Barnyardgrass, Chickweed, Crabgrass (large & smooth), Foxtails, Goosegrass, Pigweed, Spurge, Witchgrass, and many more.
- It works by stopping weeds to continue growing and also freezes newly germinated weeds. There is a limitation for applying this herbicide including not to feed or graze livestock in the treated areas, not blend with dry fertilizer or any other granular material, not apply through an irrigation system, and not being used on golf courses.
- Apply this herbicide product in a minimum of 20 gallons per acre or 0.5 gallons per 1000 square feet of the carrier such as water and/or fluid fertilizer. It is recommended to use a low-pressure sprayer. for better results, use a broadcast boom or handheld wand that is specially designed for herbicide or insecticide.
Best for Lawn
Bayer Bio-Advanced All-In-One Lawn Weed and Dallisgrass Killer
BGO Overall Rating
Based on 2,213 reviews.
- This herbicide contains 2,4-D, dimethylamine salt (4.85%), Quinclorac (1.61%), Dicamba, dimethylamine salt (0.45%) which is an exclusive formula that can eliminate Dallisgrass and lawn weeds in just one easy step. Its application will not harm your other plant in your garden or lawn when you apply according to its instruction label.
- The herbicide is capable of treating 5,000 square feet of lawn and it is ideal for small to large areas. It will not wash away after the rainfall for at least one hour.
- This product would be safe when applied on Bermuda grass, Buffalo grass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Ryegrass, Fescue grass, Zoysia grass, and Bent grass. You must be cautious to never apply this herbicide on Bahia grass, Carpet grass, Centipede grass, and St. Augustine.
- The application rates would be 3.2 oz. per gallon of water per 500 square feet. Apply this herbicide product when weeds are actively growing.
- This herbicide should be applied using a pump-style tank sprayer for maximum results. Apply evenly on large areas and for one particular weed hold tip of wand 12 inches from weed. Aim at the center of the weed.
How to treat Dallisgrass
Make sure that when handling a herbicide, you are wearing protective gears to protect your skin and eyes(Goggles, gloves, and long-sleeved clothing)
To get rid of Dallisgrass, chemical options are the best way, especially if you have an outbreak that will be time-consuming. We recommend using a pre-emergent herbicide to prevent Dallisgrass.
If your lawn suffering from heavy Dallisgrass, we suggest you use both pre-emergence and post-emergent herbicides. We recommend using a pre-emergent herbicide in early spring to kill seedling weeds and post-emergence herbicide treatment.
How to prevent Dallisgrass
Dallisgrass is a perennial plant. You have no chance to prevent the grass from coming back. You need to make sure your yard is healthy and densely planted with turf. Routinely mow your lawn at 3 to 4 inches to help the turf better resist a reinvasion of Dallisgrass. For problems in ornamental beds, you may need to add mulch.
A late winter to early spring pre-emergent is a great way to stop the invasive grassy weed from returning and spreading. Use an appropriately calibrated sprayer and then apply the herbicide until your lawn is covered evenly.
I had been doing gardening for the last 18 years. I enjoy writing reviews of many products and about gardening to give better experiences and accurate information.